Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It's a debacle!

I hate that its is spelled without its apostrophe (I'm only a little amazed I spelled apostrophe correctly, its phonetic in french.) I would like very much for someone to give me a grammatical situation where saying "It's (hat/balls/hooters calender/computer/total station/lamp/whatever)" would be confusing, the clarity of the word's purpose being the only real reason for the loss of its's (yeah that's right, I said its's or would it be its', no that'd be like itses' or itss') apostrophe.

Of course I was taught at a young age like the rest of you the difference between its and it's and my opinion of the situation hasn't changed any since then, so I never committed to memory which one was which, I was to busy memorizing multiplication tables and the Gettysburg Address. At some point I learned to multiply in my head, but I'm convinced that there is no legitimate reason for differentiating between its and it's, and furthermore, there is no good logic (read way to remember) as to which is which. I'm thoroughly convinced that some obsessive compulsive grammarian one day just decided which one would sacrifices its apostrophe.

Anyways, my asshole of the day award goes to all you people who think its funny that I dont know the difference, and feel superior because you do. I'm a little dyslexic ok? My computer has learned to auto replace nessacary with necessary. Thanks to spell check I never had to learn that one. I got at least 3 papers back in high school with the word fallow underlined with a question mark next to it (fallow is a real word hence not caught by spell check as a misspelling of follow,) whatever, I know how to figure out how much water slows down because of a bend in the pipe, so don't come around here talking to me about apostrophes.

No comments: