Monday, December 10, 2007

I Probably Would've Given More Than an Ear

A few interesting things happened today, but the two most culturally important would have to be Michael “Ron “Ookie” Mexico” Vick’s being sentenced to just shy of two years in federal prison for his role in the dog fighting corporation he financed “Bad Newz Kennelz,” (Bad news indeed… zing!) and the reunion concert by Led Zeppelin that just ended. They played a strong set list including some of my favorites, ROCKING in with Good Times Bad Times (a song we called GT/BT back in the halcyon Phish days of my youth), Ramble On (two of the top five best baselines ever, in one song!), and Black Dog (played out, but for a reason) to open. Then they played a few songs with which I must admit unfamiliarity, In My Time of Dying, For Your Life, Trampled Under Foot, and Nobody’s Fault but Mine. Then they launched into an EPIC string of ABSOLUTE AWESOMENESS:

No Quarter – My most recent favorite Zepp song.

Since I’ve Been Loving You – The song I lost my virginity to.

Dazed and Confused – Reportedly lasted ten minutes at the end of which Plant clued everyone in as to who was playing the guitar.

Stairway to Heaven – The song I touched my first boob to. (Seventh Grade Dance What What!)

The Song Remains the Same – Classic, aptly named even?

Misty Mountain Hop – The second most underrated song on IV (after The Battle for Evermore which is AWESOME)

Kashmir – Will undoubtedly be in the soundtrack of the movie I’ll probably never make, when the hero is walking towards the villain for the showdown. I saw Galactic cover this on Lundi Gras last year at Tip's and I pretty much lost it.

Whole Lotta Love – Was at one time my favorite Zepp song.

Rock and Roll – Again, aptly named, one of the ROCKINGEST songs ever.

A few weeks ago, a friend and I had a discussion as to which part and how much of our body we’d be willing to give up to be at this show. She said a ear, I said yeah but only after the show.

No comments: